Belgian Waffles

When I crave for waffles, I get my craving fixed at Four Leaves bakery. You know those small belgian waffles that the bakery is selling ...

When I crave for waffles, I get my craving fixed at Four Leaves bakery. You know those small belgian waffles that the bakery is selling at $1.30? I am in love with them and I buy them at least twice a week, as my mid day snack. Even though they only have 2 flavours (original or chocolate coated), they still remind me of those belgian waffles that are sold at platinum mall at BKK. Unlike the crispy and fluffy waffles that are usually served at artisanal ice cream cafes, these belgian waffles are soft and chewy. In fact, I just realized that Udders actually serve 2 kinds of waffles: Crispy or Chewy waffle and their chewy waffle is pretty delicious when complement with ice cream. Inspired by them both, I decided to make my own chewy belgian waffle today. The difference between chewy and crispy waffle lies in the batter. Chewy waffle is made from a yeast batter. Unlike the sweet liege waffles that can be eaten on its own, this batter has lesser amount of sugar. Hence, this definitely goes well with some kind of topping such as ice cream or butter and maple syrup. 
Recipe: (Adapted from Laura Vitale, makes 6 square waffles) 
1/3 tsp of Yeast
210g of Cake Flour
2 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar
1/4 tsp of Salt
40g of Melted Butter
1 Egg Separated
3/4 cup of Warm Milk
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract

1) Add 1 tsp of sugar and yeast into the milk and let it proof for about 3 mins.
2) Whisk egg white until stiff peak.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk milk mixture, vanilla, egg yolks, butter and remaining sugar. Add the flour and salt and mix just long enough to incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet.
4) Fold in the egg whites gently and cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to rest for about an hour. 
5) Preheat your waffle maker and simply follow the instructions of your waffle maker. Mine took about 2-3 mins to cook. 
6) Serve your waffles with your desired topping. Enjoy!

Do note that you can make this batter the night before, simply cover with plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge overnight.The batter will slowly rise in the fridge overnight and ready to be turned into waffles in the morning!





You Might Also Like

0 comments