Ham and Mushroom Baked Rice

Baked rice was my favourite dish when I was a kid. My favourite baked rice is from NYDC even though I haven been there for years. In fac...


Baked rice was my favourite dish when I was a kid. My favourite baked rice is from NYDC even though I haven been there for years. In fact, I can’t even remember how it tasted now but I remember it used to be my favourite. Baked rice is a typical dish on food menus. In my opinion, a satisfying baked rice should have the flavour of all its ingredients well blended together (especially the rice and sauce). Instead of merely pouring the sauce and adding the toppings to the white rice, the way to infuse the flavour into the rice is simply to cook the rice with the broth or sauce which you intend to use. This is similar to how we cook risotto. The ham and mushroom baked rice which i prepared for my family was creamy and flavorful and I am certainly going to cook this again. If you are feeling lazy, you can always substitute the sauce with campbell soup but I would definitely recommend you to make the sauce from scratch. Enjoy (: 


Recipe: (serves 3 to 4) 
1.5 tbsp of butter 
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 3/4 tsp salt 
1/3 tsp salt 
1 1/4 cups of rice 
2 1/4 cups of chicken broth 
3/4 cup of cooking cream or heavy cream 
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese 
3/4 cup of mixed shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese
6 slices of picnic ham 
250g of brown button mushrooms, sliced or quartered

1. Heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and coat prepared dish with butter.
2. Melt butter in a drying pan over medium heat. Add onions, and garlic, some salt and pepper when butter starts foaming. 
3. Add mushrooms and ham to the pan and cook till mushrooms are tender. About 5-6 mins. 
4. Add rice and stir to coat in butter and the ingredients in the pan. Add broth and cream. Stir, taste and slightly season with more salt if required. 
5. Bring to simmer and stirring frequently for about 10 - 15 mins. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Pour into prepared dish and spread evenly. 
6. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for another 15 mins, until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is almost cooked. Check frequently and make sure you don’t over cook your rice. 
7. Uncover and evenly sprinkle a mix of mozzarella and cheddar cheese on top of the rice and continue baking till rice is tender and cheese is golden. About 10-15 mins more. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments