Steamed Banana Cakes

Whats for breakfast on Wednesday? Instead of our usual peanut jam and nutella sandwiches, my family had steamed banana cakes for breakfast...



Whats for breakfast on Wednesday? Instead of our usual peanut jam and nutella sandwiches, my family had steamed banana cakes for breakfast. In fact, 1 steamed banana cake has lower calories than 1 serving of our usual peanut jam sandwich. I love steam cakes from four leaves, breadtalk and not forgetting the colourful ones sold at pasar Malam, top with some orange sugar and coconut flakes. I was tryng to make the cake rise into 4 corners at the top (like huat kueh) but I failed. My mum brought some really sweet bananas back from my grandma's kampong. I was contemplating between banana steamed cakes and banana muffins. I was pretty lazy that day so I went with the simpler recipe. It is amazing such an easy recipe can yield such a delicious and moist banana cake. I'll make this again! I slightly edited the recipe to suit my family. I like my banana cake to have chunks of banana in it so i added more bananas than what the original recipe called for and i did leave some chunks of bananas in my mashed banana mixture. Since i added more bananas, i reduced my sugar intake from 100g to 70g. Sweetness was just nice . All you need are a couple of ingredients which you most likely already have on hand. You can always pop them in the fridge and steam them the next morning. That was what I did! Enjoy these hot n fluffy banana cakes.

!

Hot, fluffy and chunky banana cakes ^^

Ingredients: (7-8muffins) [  Original recipe adapted from here ]

2 Eggs
70sugar
3  ripe bananas, mashed with some chunks (300g)
150g Self-raising Flour
1/8 tsp Baking Soda
75g oil (any flavorless oil)

Steps:


  1. Sift together self-raising flour and baking soda, set aside.

  2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together Eggs and sugar till ribbon stage.

  3. Mix in mashed bananas, beat till combine.

  4. Gently fold in flour mixture and Oil, taking care not to deflate the eggs and sugar mixture.

  5. Pour Batter into muffin pan, lined with muffin cups.

  6. Steam over high heat for 15mins or till an inserted skewer comes out clean.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Shannon McCarthy15 August 2012 at 14:11

    These steamed banana cakes were delicious. Made 3 for my husband this past weekend and between him and my grand-kids, it was gone in no time flat. Thanks for sharing.
    - Shannon, the Crumb Cake Queen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay glad you n yr family like it! :> hv a good day!

    ReplyDelete