Netherlands - Amsterdam

Amsterdam is a beautiful city that is well known for its luxurious canal houses and charming gabled facade. These canal houses were once ...


Amsterdam is a beautiful city that is well known for its luxurious canal houses and charming gabled facade. These canal houses were once homes for the wealthy, but are functioning as museums, offices and hotels now. The sheer grandeur of the picturesque landscape immediately made me ask myself why I did not pick Amsterdam as my exchange destination. But the answer was made so clear to me when I found myself freezing in the cold an hour later. The weather was cloudy and we had occasional downpours throughout my four days in Amsterdam.


Mesmerised by the picturesque canal districts, I wished I could spend more time outdoors people watching or to admire the houses. I visited the Ann Frank Museum and my friends and I had to queue in the rain. Every tourist takes picture with the "Iamsterdam" landmark. So its pretty impossible to get a photo without anybody else in the background unless you head there early. 




Fresh and delicious raw red herring. Definitely a must try when you head over to the street market. 



Forget the large dutch pancakes, these mini fluffy poffertjes are better. We also tried the freshly made stroopwaffle from the street market. Those gigantic pieces were selling for 1.50 euros per piece.


Cheesy chicken sandwiches from the street market vendors.




Last but certainly not the least, the city is also notorious for its red light district and has become a regular tourist site in Amsterdam. There are plenty of sex shops, sex theatres, peep shows and sex museums. Prostitutes dress in lingerie and some even barely anything stand behind red lit glass doors to attract attention from passers-by. The red light district is generally safe as there are lots of tourists and is patronised by both men and women.


You Might Also Like

0 comments