Miso Banana Cake

Last week, I made a batch of Miso Chocolate Chip Cookies and brought them to the office and they were very well received among my colleague...

Last week, I made a batch of Miso Chocolate Chip Cookies and brought them to the office and they were very well received among my colleagues!  Miso is savoury. And it is indeed its funky, fermented and complex saltiness that brings the dessert to a whole new level. Since I have two tubs of miso (brown and shiro) sitting in my fridge right now,  I decided to experiment more desserts with miso. Stay tune! 

I turned to google for ideas. Miso is labeled as a secret weapon in sweet recipes. That umami flavour  adds depth and nuance to desserts. Think of Miso Chocolate, Miso Caramel, Miso Cheesecake, Miso Butter Scotch etc... How do they sound? Not convinced yet? Perhaps you should be like me, buy a tub of miso and try it for yourself! 

After looking up the web for a while, I decided to go with the all time classic humble banana bread as for one of my first few miso dessert experiments. Original recipe is adapted from Food52. I halved the recipe and baked a small loaf. I will also probably reduce the amount of miso to 25-30g. I will only recommend you to use shiro (white) miso as the other types of miso will be too salty for this recipe. I usually cut down the amount of sugar from original recipe. For this recipe, with the addition of miso, there is no need to cut the sugar for this recipe. 

I can imagine it as a house dessert in any restaurant. The banana bread is savoury and it is best served warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Yums. 

Ingredients: (Makes 1 small loaf)
120g Riped bananas + 1 banana
50g Butter
40g Brown sugar
40g Caster sugar
35g Shiro Miso (Reduce to 25-30g)
100g All purpose flour
1/2 tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
1 Egg

1. Preheat your oven to 175 degrees celcius
2. Mash 120g of bananas
3. Beat butter, miso and sugar till fluffy 
4. Add egg, mashed bananas and vanilla extract to butter mixture and mix till well combined. 
5. Mix all dry ingredients into the batter. I used a balloon whisk to fold the dry ingredients into the mixture. 
6. Pour batter into a greased pan (or line with baking paper). Slice the banana into half and place the banana on top of the batter (cut-side up)
7. Bake it for about 45-50 mins. I covered the cake with an aluminium foil after 30 mins as it was browning too much. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments