Miso Ramen

While I am saddened by the fact that we can't dine outside during this period, the circuit breaker enables me to reconnect with my favou...

While I am saddened by the fact that we can't dine outside during this period, the circuit breaker enables me to reconnect with my favourite past time activity at home again! Never found the opportunity to spend so much time in the kitchen especially after I have started working.

The one thing I miss the most during this global pandemic is traveling! Scrolling through the thousands of photos on my phone brought me back to the end of 2018 where I spent 2 weeks in Japan! Can't believe it took me 25 years to visit Japan and I absolutely love everything about Japan - especially the food! No doubt, the ramen in Japan beat any bowl I have had in Singapore hands down. I remembered having ramen 4 times in 2 weeks - Ichiran, Gogyo and Ippudo. Ichiran is my favourite!!

My mum loves ramen too. So, I decided to attempt making ramen from scratch at home. I know you could actually get instant ramen from Japanese supermarkets but... since we are all cooped up at home during circuit breaker... why not? It's exactly because I tried to make it on my own, I think I will appreciate ramen better from now on. There is immense amount of work, time and effort behind that unassuming piping bowl of noodles - from preparing the toppings (Char Siew & egg) to the broth and noodles. Noodles were the easiest and Char Siew was the hardest!



Adapted the recipe from Just One Cookbook. Please click on the link for the original recipe.

Here are my notes:
As miso and dou ban jiang are salty to begin with, be mindful of the chicken stock you add to your broth especially if you are using store bought chicken stock. Choose low sodium chicken stock if there is. If you are unable to find low sodium chicken stock, you may mix water and chicken stock and adjust according to your preference. I used store bought chicken stock this time. If you have the time, I'll definitely recommend you to make your own stock (healthier and cleaner) - which is what I am going to do the next time!

You may make the broth, char siew and egg one day before. Reheat everything the next day and assemble them!

I quite like the addition of minced pork from this recipe. May not be authentic of course but it adds texture to it. Overall, its a very hearty and satisfying bowl of home-made ramen!

You Might Also Like

0 comments