Gula Melaka Chiffon Cake

One of my favourite cakes are chiffon cakes because they are so light and fluffy. Perfect for a snack / breakfast. I got this recipe from...


One of my favourite cakes are chiffon cakes because they are so light and fluffy. Perfect for a snack / breakfast. I got this recipe from my cousin. Although I only managed to succeed after three attempts, this is by far the best Gula Melaka Chiffon Cake I have tried and I will bake it again and again. Definitely a keeper. Here are some notes from my failed attempts:

1. Do not substitute rice bran oil with any other type of oil. I tried substituting with canola / vegetable oil and it doesn't give the same taste.



2. Chill mixing bowl and egg whites in the fridge at least 15 mins before you beat the egg whites away. Chilled egg whites enable the batter to rise higher and fluffier in the oven. Whisk the egg whites till stiff peaks with a tip that folds over. Over beating the egg whites will cause the mixture to separate and cause the cake to collapse.



3. Instead of using a spatula to fold egg whites and flour into the mixture, use a whisk! This will give you a more consistent mixture. I was hesitant to use a whisk initially as I was afraid of deflating the egg whites and over beating the mixture... and this is what happened.



Look at the disgusting 2 tone and a lumpy consistency. I found it difficult to fold the egg whites and flour into the batter thoroughly with a spatula. An inconsistent mixture may create large air pockets and white streaks in your batter. Fold the egg whites into the batter in three batches. Do it gently, carefully with bigger strokes.

4. Bang the chiffon cake pan really hard against a hard surface to release the air bubbles. Use a satay stick to gently stir the mixture. This helps to releases the air bubbles too.


Ingredients: 
95g Gula melaka 
75g Coconut milk
Pandan leaves 
4 Egg yolks
50g Rice bran oil
1/4 tsp Salt
95g Cake flour 
3/4 tsp Baking powder
5 Egg whites
30g Caster sugar

1. Melt gula melaka and pandan leaves  in coconut milk. Stir till all the gula melaka has melted and set aside to cool
2. Whisk egg yolks till light. Add salt and continue to whisk
3. Add oil & whisk to get a thick mixture
4. Add cooled gula melaka 
5. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder ( I used a whisk) 
6. Whisk egg whites and sugar in 3 additions till firm peak. 
7. Fold meringue into the mixture in 3 batches till there is no white streak.

You Might Also Like

0 comments