Fried Sweet Potato Balls

What can be better than hot piping fried sweet potato balls for your mid-day snack? If you know me, you would have probably known that I ...

What can be better than hot piping fried sweet potato balls for your mid-day snack? If you know me, you would have probably known that I am a huge huge huge fan of sweet potato!! I could eat that  everyday for all my meals! I have a little dream to grow my own sweet potato plant at my back yard in future! I fell in love with sweet potato balls when i first tried those sold at maxwell hawker centre. They were so delicious and it is definitely a must-try when you go to maxwell. Unfortunately, they don't open everyday. My sweet potato balls are slightly different from theirs. Those that are served at maxwell is more chewy and hollow at the center. On the other hand, mine is crunchy on the outside, mushy and chewy on the inside. I love them both and they are totally worth the sinful calories. I prepared the dough and rolled them into balls and pop them in the fridge the night before i deep fry them. 

Recipe: (Original recipe adapted from my Kitchensnippets, Makes about 50-60 small balls) 
450-500g Orange colour sweet potato flesh
250g glutinous rice flour
30g corn flour
110g sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
Oil for deep frying 
1-1.5 bowls of water (Depends) 

1. Steam or boil sweet potatoes until very soft.  Mash sweet potato with a fork or masher.
2. Mix the glutinous rice flour, corn flour, sugar and salt well in a large bowl. 
3. Add the mashed sweet potato into the large bowl. 
4. Mix all the ingredients together and add water slowly until the mixture becomes a smooth dough. ( I used my hand to mix and added water while i continue kneading to form a smooth dough)
5. Roll into small balls. (15g per ball) 
5. Prepare wok and add oil for deep-frying. Make sure oil is hot before deep frying. Slowly add one by one as they might stick together. 

Don't quickly eliminate the darker sweet potato balls because they are the ones which are extremely crunchy on the outside. Allow them to go for another quick swim in the deep hot oil after they are cooked to give them extra crunch on the outside.  



You Might Also Like

0 comments